This product is no longer in stock
Warning: Last items in stock!
As a part of L'Été du Canal event, take part in this cruise on the Saint-Denis canal and discover work of art related to street-art and the hip-hop culture. The Saint-Denis canal will host the 2024 olympics and paralytics games with new disciplines deeply linked to urban culture such as climbing, skateboarding and breakdance.
This cruise is the perfect opportunity to reflect on the deep links between hip hop and the northeastern area of Paris, with the first graffiti artists taking over its wastelands in the 1980s and the first French hip-hop festival in the Fort d'Aubervilliers wasteland.
During this cruise on the Saint-Denis canal, you'll sail between the 6B and the Parc de la Villette, you'll be witness to an ever moving neighborhood where signs from an industrial past mingle with contemporary architecture and frescoes on the famous Street art Avenue. On the boat, a mediator of the MUR 93 will show you the various artistic interventions, vandal or ordered, like those of the Street-Art Avenue.
Since 2016, Street Art Avenue has been inviting local and international urban artists to work on the Saint-Denis Canal, which is enriched with new works every year. Since 2016, the Saint-Denis canal has become the playground of about thirty urban artists. Using different techniques - spray cans, acrylic paint, stencils, collage, they transform the banks by creating works on unusual supports: silos of the cement manufacturer Cimex®, floors, pillars, bridges, walls...
Along the water, you can admire the frescoes of Seth, the installation of Zest, the mural of the Dutch duo Telmo Miel, and the monumental calligraphies of Tarek Benaoum. Each year you'll be able to discover new pieces of work with each new edition of Street Art Avenue.
The mediator of the MUR 93 will show you in details the evolutions of this landscape in mutations and will initiate you to the various styles of this urban art in full rise.
This cruise will be the perfect occasion to go back to the roots of this counter culture which has become a mass culture for more than 10 years and will make its Olympic entrance during the next Games of Paris 2024.
The "Street Art Avenue" is a project led by Plaine Commune in close collaboration with the Tourist Office of Plaine Commune Grand Paris and in partnership with the cities of Saint-Denis, Paris, Aubervilliers and the Department of Seine-Saint-Denis. This commented cruise is organized as part of l'Été du canal and Larguez les amarres.
This is not a round trip cruise. The boat will drop you off at the Parc de la Villette (metro 5 Porte de Pantin or metro 7 Porte de la Villette).
The highlights of this cruise :
- Departure from 6b, a cultural place located at the confluence of the Saint-Denis canal and the Seine. Tips: You can come to the 6b earlier in the afternoon and enjoy one of their many activities while soaking in the creative atmosphere before embarking.
- The Cruise commented by a specialist of street-art, a connoisseur and a passionate who'll definitely catch your attention.
- Cameras are welcome on board: this open-air museum is the perfect spot to take breathtaking photographs
- As you'll cross Saint-Denis you'll pass by several converted industrial sites such as the Christofle site which was turned into L'Orfèvrerie, a cultural place. You'll also pass by the Stade de France.
- You'll cross Aubervilliers with its parks on the right bank and industrial sites that are still in activity.
- You'll go under the lock of the Pont de Flandre, the most spectacular lock on the Saint-Denis canal
- A bar will be available on board to have a cup of tea and/or an aperitif while listening to the fascinating stories of your guide.
- Disembarkation in the Parc de la Villette at 7:30 pm, the ideal place for a stroll before having diner. Only a few minutes from the subway lines 5 and 7 that will take you to the heart of Paris in no time. You could also stay in the park and enjoy a movie screening in the outdoor movie theater.
This cruise is organized as a part of the operation L'Été du Canal 2023.
L'Été du Canal 2023 has a rich program of activities and events on the Saint-Denis Canal and the Ourcq Canal.
Street art cruises in Paris :
©Joachim Romain / ©Willy Vainqueur